I’m going to try and keep this quite short and sweet, but I can’t let this week pass without making a few resolutions. I love Christmas and New Year and whilst I stay firmly in the festive spirit until twelfth night and all the mince pies have been eaten, I do slowly start to think about returning to normality and my resolutions for the year ahead.
1. Keep adjusting and look after myself. This covers all the usual stuff which no New Years Resolution list should be without. Do more exercise, because when I look back, I generally seem to feel better about myself when I exercise regularly. Eating better, which is heavily linked to resolution number four about getting organised and planning my meals. Finally, is keep a bit of balance in life so that I focus more on the things that make me happy and less on the things that make me worry.
2. Use my spare time wisely. Instead of wasting my spare time, I want to add some focus to it.
– Reading 12 books in 1 year. Not too ambitious, but beats the 1 book in 12 months in 2013.
– Watching a new film a week (including more documentaries like Blackfish, which completely gripped me this year). This encourages a few more cinema trips too.
– Finally catch up on some TV series that I am way behind on (West Wing, House, Greys Anatomy, Breaking Bad, Prison Break, 24, I’m looking at you).
– Improve my skills. This means knitting, so by the time I’m 80, I will be an absolute whizz. Also piano, because I have wanted to be able to play since I was 8 and never quite got the hang of it/tried that hard.
– Take more trips – these don’t have to be far. A day trip to Cornwall will do me nicely, just do it more often.
– Improve my photography and practice it here!
3. Organise myself and save some money. So obvious but this is one of the big things that keeps me calm. I’m naturally a planner and keeping that in check seems to allow me to enjoy the other things that keep me happy. Even though I’m good at this, I’m easily distracted so as much as I’m focusing on having a hoot in my spare time, I also need to keep doing this.
Happy New Year!