I love summer but it usually passes me by. When we get a heatwave, it’s generally moved on to even sunnier climes before I’ve found where I helpfully ‘stored’ my flip flops the year before. This year, I want to get myself in gear and plan to do some things that should make me feel that I’ve appreciated the longer days. Yes, British weather might rain all over my parade, but damn it, I will have tried.
1. Camping. Last year we invested in a tent. We then proceeded to take our lovely tent to the park, erected it, then looked at it proudly whilst eating an ice cream. That is our greatest camping achievement. This year, we are determined to actually do some real life camping.
2. Paddle boarding. I have been harping on about paddle boarding for about four years. Instead of talking about it, I’m going to get my paddle on and decide if I actually like it or spend the whole time freaking out looking for Jaws.
3. Have a picnic on the beach and a BBQ in the park. We don’t have a garden or even a balcony anymore so it’s rare that we get to eat outdoors. It takes a bit more planning and effort for us to be able to enjoy all that alfresco- ness. I’ve written it down now which means we’ll have to do it.
4. Half marathon and yoga. I dropped out of last years half marathon after I got a bit over excited towards the end of my training and did myself a damage. I’m taking it easy this year but would love to actually make it to the race. To balance out all that running around, I’m going to give yoga (another) go and try not to give up in my first lesson. It usually goes something like this – ‘look how flexible they are. That is flexible. They’re really good at this. I should probably come back when I’m a bit more flexible. Like that girl. I should work on flexibility alone in my flat where there is no shame from the flexible yoga girls’. Then, when actually alone in my room, I’ll just write blog posts about going to yoga. You can see where it all goes wrong.
5. Swim outdoors. I’m not talking about in lakes or the sea so there will (hopefully) be no fish in this scenario. There are a couple of local outdoor pools near me which I’ve never been brave enough to venture to. Time to top up my (fake) tan.
6. Hiking. Heavily linked to the camping goal, I’d like to leave the city and explore some of South Wales.
7. Drive in movie. Just because I’ve never been to one and I heard a rumour you can order Dominoes to your car. That’s too much, just too much…
8. Make coffee ice cream and eat it in little brioche burger buns, Italian/Nigella style.